Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Heartburn, Heartburn, and Heartburn

One of the biggest undesired symptoms I have experienced during my pregnancy is the dreaded burning sensation know as heartburn or indigestion. Never had I experienced this before, so it's definitley not a welcome addition to my daily routine! Appparently during pregnancy, hormones relax the muscles in the digestive tract, including the esophogus, making it lax on its duties to control acid reflux.

Heartburn happens to rear its ugly head when the food from your stomach (which contains lots of acid) is forced upwards to the esophagus. This causes that horrible burning sensation behind the breastbone or your throat that slowly seems to rise up. It radiates up my neck and gives an overall horrible acidic feeling that is hard to shake.

I particularly get my indigestion at nighttime, or after I eat or drink. The best relief comes in the form of Extra Strength Tums...one or two will usually do the trick, but sometimes throughout the night I will have to pop another. Propping my head with a couple pillows at night helps along with well....not eating or drinking greasy or fatty snacks before bedtime! This I am guilty of, sometimes that pack of Oreos just is too hard to resist at 1 a.m. They should have a pregnancy disclaimer saying: Beware of the consequences!

No comments:

Post a Comment